Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Scene For You

I am sitting on the computer writing this as I listen and blink. A car horn honks in the distance, and the muffled sound of a plane comes from overhead. My fingers flash across the keys, only pausing a moment to contemplate a new sentence. I can hear the clear chirping of birds, most likely the house sparrows who fly near here. I see the letters string across the screen, forming words, sentences with meaning. The sky is white with clouds smooth as peanut butter. My ears ring to the soft sound of chimes singing in the neighbor's yard. I sit quietly, thinking of what to say next.

Then with a sudden burst of energy my fingers alight on the keys typing this very sentence as though I was being followed and tracked. Then silence. Calm, quiet silence. The kind of silence that rings in your ears like a siren. A seagull lands on a street light not far from here. He keeps watch, quietly, calmly. The room is so quiet you can almost here the breeze talking. Then a car's alarm breaks the peaceful nothingness, and here I am, once more typing at the computer.

1 comment:

  1. That is an exquisite piece of writing. I can't help but imagine the way it is. I guess it's not too hard for me!

    ReplyDelete